Play together with - others at play.chunkcloud.net

Forums - The full server version 1.8 is here, time to update

The full server version 1.8 is here, time to update

FORUM > NETWORK NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS > THREAD 101
The full server version 1.8 is here, time to update
Owner
The update has been moved to sunday the 14th of December!

On the end of November, SpigotMC announced that they had created a full of Minecraft version 1.8 for Spigot and Craftbukkit. The days after, some big servers changed to version 1.8, and now it's our time to do so.

Today, our server host, Mexin-Hosting, added both Spigot and Craftbukkit version 1.8 into the version list on our control panel. Right after I noticed that, I tried it on our small 256MB test server, and guess what? Everything worked perfectly, not a single error.
Some of the players already knew that we were planning on updating the server to version 1.7.9/1.7.10 with or without a reset. Therefore we let the players vote for if they wanted the server to get reset or not when updating. The results of the poll were not really helping that much, you can see why at [url=http://poll.nlgamevideosnl.net/check]this[/ur] page.

Now with Craftbukkit 1.8 being available, we threw the 1.7.9/1.7.10 version plans away and created new plans for version 1.8, but as you can guess, the update to 1.8 wont be possible without a reset.
In the following text you can read why, how, and when we are going to update.

To answer the 'why' question: We do have an option to keep all the player data and worlds as they are right now, but as I said in the previous post, Minecraft 1.7.9+ uses UUID's to identify players. Converting player names into UUID's is not really a big deal for most of the plugins, but for some it is.
We don't really want to spend days on converting player data before we even would be able to update the server.

Version 1.8 also has new blocks, items, mobs and temples. If we keep the current maps, you will never find any of these things, because the world is generated in version 1.7.5, and not in 1.8. Also because of the worldborders we have set on our maps, you will never find new land to generate the mobs, blocks and temples.
If we use new maps, generated in 1.8/1.8.1 you will find new blocks and mobs right away.

Now the 'how' question: Resetting a server doesn't really take that much effort, just delete the player data and maps and start over, but this time we are going to do it a bit different. When we update to 1.8, we won't delete anything yet.
As you might now, we've tried updating to 1.7.9 once before, and we failed miserably. And as you can guess, we already deleted the previous maps/data so doing a rollback wasn't possible. This time, we will create a sub folder in our root map, and just save the old data there until we are sure that there will be no problems with 1.8.

The things that you will lose during the update are: Houses/buildings, inventory, xp, enderchest content, money, claims and factions data.
Things that you wont lose are: Ranks, playtime, bought ranks/items/upgrades and McMMO data.

'When' you ask? Well, most of the plugins are already tested in 1.7.9/1.7.10/1.8 and are ready to go, but some bigger plugins like factions and plotme still need to get some testing to make sure the reset goes as smooth as possible.
We try to be done before next weekend, which would be on the 14th of December. During that day, we perform the reset and upgrade within about 2 to 3 hours time. We will start at 10am CET time, and will be done around 1pm CET. During this time period, only the staff will be able to join the server as there will be a whitelist.

What you do need to remember, is that because of the UUID's, there will be no more skins in version 1.8, so everybody will have the new alex skin. During the update we are also going to change the survival spawn into something completely different.

I hope that, by posting this news post, I've informed y'all enough for what's coming next week.
Thanks for reading, I'll see you guys next time!

- Fabian, Owner of NLGameVideosNL
Page 1 of 1