Play together with - others at play.chunkcloud.net

Forums - 1.8 server changes, bugs and new things

1.8 server changes, bugs and new things

FORUM > NETWORK NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS > THREAD 103
1.8 server changes, bugs and new things
Owner
Since the 14th of December 2014 our server is running on Minecraft version 1.8. We all like the 1.8 version with new blocks, items and animals, but there are some downsides to it.

As you might have noticed, some things have changed in the server over the past few weeks. With 'things' I mean worlds, monster spawning, leave decay, grass growth etc. There are also a few plugin bugs which were caused by the 1.8 update.
Today I want to talk to you about why these changes and bugs, because I keep getting the same questions over and over again. But I also want to talk about new things that were added to the server, so let's begin!

The first main problem is that spigot/bukkit 1.8 uses twice the amount of resources (memory, RAM, CPU etc). Most of the changes that were made, were made to save RAM and prevent major lag spikes.
As a result, we had to remove the creative world. This was not 100% caused by our 'RAM saving operation', but also because of Plotme and worldguard both having big issues since 1.7.9.

A second big change is that in most world, the spawning of hostile mobs has been disabled. We did this because 1.8 has a bug with spawning too many mobs at once, which causes big lag spikes.
Just to give an example: Normally we have about 2000/25000 chunks loaded at once. On a normal rate, there will be about 1100 entities in those chunks. Since the 1.8 update, the entity amount reached about 3000 in those 2000/2500 chunks. So I think that you get the point here.

To save some extra RAM (and to prevent lag) we enabled the /lagg halt command. This command halts certain server-side activities just to prevent tick lag. Reported changes that were caused by this command were:

- leave decay got disabled
- grass growth got disabled
- less animals spawned (not fully disabled)

When 1.8.2 comes out, we hope that we can enable all of these things again, but I can't ensure you of this.

Now lets talk about the things that got added/will get added to the server.

Since a week or 2, we got a second KitPVP arena. In this arena you will fight against other players in a snow village at the bottom of big hills all around you.

This map will be switched with the other map every week. From this day on we will switch the maps every Sunday morning.

Soon you can also expect to see some new plugins in the server. These plugins are fully made by me, Fabian, and will add some nice new features to the server.

Including:
- PVP stats with shop system
- Custom recipes (grass, sponge, saddle, horse armor etc)
- Welcome message (message while joining the server)
- Inventory Shops (not started yet)
- Admin commands (only for OP's!)
- more to follow...

Th plugin got installed 1 time before, but got taken out of the server because of big CPU issues. These are now fixed, so beta testing can begin soon!

So, now I hope that you guys understand why some things have changed in the server, and that you can play happily again!

Thanks for reading, and I will see you guys next time!
- Fabian
Page 1 of 1